Posts for: July, 2020
Sinus infections are common ENT disorders. Coming on after a cold or chronically, due to structural problems or repeat infections, bouts with sinusitis may become debilitating. At the Munster, Crown Point, and Olympia Fields IN offices of otolaryngologist, Dr. Arthur Katz, patients find substantial relief through sinus treatment plans. Feel better and get back into life! Talk to your Sinusitis Munster IN specialist today.
That awful sinusitis
US News and World Report say that 37 million Americans struggle with a single bout, or repeated episodes, of sinusitis annually. Nasal passages and the air-filled cavities inside the skull become irritated and inflamed due to colds, flu, allergies, bacteria, or structural abnormalities.
Symptoms of Sinusitis in Munster IN patients include:
- Headaches, especially behind the eyes, forehead, and back teeth
- Loss of taste and smell
- Congestion and post-nasal drip
- Copious mucus production (green, yellow, thick and lasting upwards of 10 days)
- Bad breath
- Impacted social and occupational function due to fatigue (according to Harvard Health)
Symptoms may escalate after the flu or a cold and simply seem to hang on and on.
Diagnosis and sinusitis Munster IN treatments
If you experience lingering sinus symptoms or several occurrences of sinusitis during the cold and flu season, contact Dr. Arthur Katz in his office. He'll ask you about your symptoms and anything which may worsen or alleviate them. He may examine your sinuses with X-ray imaging and/or a thin, lighted scope.
With results in hand, Dr. Katz may advise any or a combination of interventions to get you some relief:
- Nasal irrigation with a Neti pot
- Warm compresses to the face
- Steam treatments from the shower or hot water in a bowl
- Sleeping with the head of the bed elevated
- Saline, steroidal, or antihistamine sinus sprays
- Mucinex, or other oral nasal thinner
- Allergy testing to pinpoint triggers in the environment
- Removal of nasal polyps
- Repair of a deviated septum (the partition inside your nose)
- Balloon sinuplasty to compressed tissue overgrowth and inflammation
- Adequate hydration (keep your water bottle handy)
- Blowing your nose gently, one nostril only at a time
- Reduction of risk factors such as smoking
Come see us
Please don't suffer. Receive expert sinusitis Munster IN treatments from Dr. Arthur Katz, your experienced ENT physician. Call us for an appointment at one of our three convenient offices. In Munster IN, phone (219) 934-9396. In Crown Point, call (219) 769-8441, and in Olympia Fields, reach our office at (708) 747-6900.
Caring for Your Hearing Aids
With the amount that hearing aids help us through the day, it is important that the hearings aids function to their best capacity. But the truth is that they can be pretty delicate, moisture and debris can cause your hearing aids to malfunction. Your ENT in Munster, Crown Point, and Olympia Fields Dr. Arthur Katz believes that it is very important to help patients understand the importance of caring for your hearing aids in order to prolong their lifetimes. Read on to learn about some common things you can do to care for your hearing aids.
Some Common Tips To Taking Care Of Your Hearing Aids
- Washing your hands before handling your hearing aids: this can prevent debris and oils from getting on your hearing aids, as well as make sure that you are not allowing germs and bacteria to get on them and therefore into your ears.
- Store your hearing aids in a dry place: hearing aids can malfunction when they come into contact with moisture.
- Change filters or wax guards: making sure any wax or debris is removed can assure that your hearing quality is not being deterred in any way.
- Do not wear your hearing aids in the shower: also as important, do not wear them while swimming, or any other instances where moisture may get to the hearing aids.
Learn More About Hearing Aids From The Professionals
While scheduling regular appointments with your otolaryngologist can be very important, it is just as important to learn how to take care of your hearing aids while at home. This will ensure that you can continue to hear at your very best. If you live in or around Munster, Crown Point, or Olympia Fields, Indiana, Dr. Katz and his professional team can be your source of information for your Ear, Nose and Throat care needs. For your convenience, we have three office locations to make sure that you can get the care you need. Call our office at (219) 934-9396 for our Munster, IN location, (219) 769-8441 for our Crown Point, IN location, or (708) 747-6900 for our Olympia Fields location to set up an appointment today.
Is your asthma under control? Wheezing, coughing and tightness in your chest may mean that your asthma treatment needs some fine-tuning. A visit to Our Olympia Fields, IL, Crown Point and Munster, IN, otolaryngologist Dr. Arthur Katz can help improve your breathing and your comfort.
What symptoms should I be concerned about?
Asthma affects the airways in your lungs, causing them to swell, narrow and produce more mucus than normal. These changes make your lung work harder and cause breathing difficulties. Symptoms of asthma may include:
- Shortness of Breath
- Chest Pain or Tightness
- Pain in Your Upper Back or Shoulders
- Trouble Sleeping
How is asthma treated?
Your Munster, Crown Point or Olympia ear, nose and throat doctor may recommend one or more of these treatments:
- Short-Acting Bronchodilator Inhaler: Commonly called “rescue” inhalers, short-acting bronchodilators provide fast-acting relief of asthma symptoms. The inhalers improve your breathing for a few hours and are used if you experience a sudden flareup of your symptoms.
- Long-Acting Bronchodilator Inhaler: Long-acting inhalers relax and open your airways and work for 12 hours. You’ll use them twice a day to keep your symptoms under control.
- Oral Asthma Medication: These pills also provide long-acting relief for asthma symptoms and are taken once a day.
- Medications for Underlying Conditions: If allergies or gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD) symptoms trigger your asthma symptoms, you may benefit by taking medications to control these conditions. Allergy shots may be recommended in some cases. The shots decrease your sensitivity to allergens and gradually reduce allergy symptoms.
- Flu and Pneumonia Vaccinations: It can be much more difficult to recover from the flu or pneumonia when you have asthma. A yearly flu shot is a very good idea if you've been diagnosed with asthma. The pneumonia shot provides protection from multiple types of pneumonia bacteria and is recommended for everyone 65 and older and adults ages 18 to 65 who have asthma or other respiratory diseases.
Regular visits to Dr. Katz can help you manage your asthma symptoms. Schedule an appointment with him by calling (219) 934-9396 for the Munster, IN, office, (219) 769-8441 for the Crown Point, IN, office, or (708) 747-6900 for the Olympia Fields, IL, office.