Posts for: October, 2017
Is your asthma well controlled? A variety of treatment options can help you avoid flare ups and potentially serious consequences of the disease. Our ENT, Dr. Arthur Katz, in Munster and Merrillville, IN, and Olympia Fields, IL, discusses several types of asthma treatments.
Common asthma treatment options
Depending on the severity of your condition and the frequency of your flare ups, one or more of these treatment options may be recommended when you visit our Munster, Merrillville or Olympia Fields office:
- Rescue Inhalers: Short-acting bronchiodilator inhalers are used only when you experience an asthma attack. The inhalers quickly work to relax and open your airways.
- Long-Acting Inhalers: Long-acting bronchodilators help you avoid flare ups by keeping your airways relaxed. Because each puff opens your airways for about 12 hours, it's important to use long-acting inhalers twice daily.
- Oral Bronchodilators: In some cases, oral medication to open your airways and relax the muscles around your airways may be recommended. Oral medications are effective for 24 hours.
- Inhaled Corticosteroids: Inhaled corticosteroids decrease airway inflammation that can worsen symptoms.
- Combination Inhalers: These inhalers contain corticosteroids and beta-2-agonists, medications that open airways and reduce inflammation.
- Additional Medications: Other medications may also be recommended occasionally, such as drugs that loosen phlegm, oral steroids or antibiotics if you develop an infection.
Preventing asthma flare ups
In addition to using prescription medications, identifying your asthma triggers and taking steps to eliminate or avoid them can help you keep your condition under control. If cigarette smoke or pollution worsens your breathing, avoid smoking and secondhand smoke and pay attention to air quality forecasts for the area. If the forecast is poor, limit the amount of time you spend outdoors.
Allergies are a common asthma trigger. Allergy medications or shots can help you avoid sneezing, water eyes and other unpleasant symptoms of pollen, pet, mold and other allergies and also prevent asthma attacks. Other possible asthma triggers include severe weather, fog, humidity, cold air, exercise, perfumes and other strong aromas.
Protect your health with asthma treatment. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Katz by calling (219) 934-9396 for the Munster, IN, office, (219) 769-8441 for the Merrillville, IN, office or (708) 747-6900 for the Olympia Fields, IL, office.